Pages

Sunday 23 June 2013

January 2012 (1)

Here is the original email from January 2012 which resulted in my removal as co-resident DJ @OUTrageous in York + which ultimately led to my decision to resign from York Pride:

"Hi guys,


Thank you for accepting my friend request. I wanted to join the group as I fully support what you're doing for York however I have a problem I wanted to discuss. I went on Friday to Outrageous at Vanity and I'm sorry to say was very disappointed with the djing. I don't want to sound harsh but I went with a group of friends, some gay and some straight and within a couple of hours all had left because of the appalling music selection. I know it's a LGBT event but constantly playing Steps, S Club, Queen and all the stereotypical gay anthems is a disservice to the diverse group who turned out on the night. I went over several times and tried to make friends with the guys in the box and made suggestions of more up-to-date stuff: Beyonce, Rihanna, Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, Kelly Rowland etc but once one track had been played - and the dancefloor noticeably livened up - it was back to the same old cliches. Not only that but tracks skipped, several times the sound was dropped mid-song, and tracks were repeated. More than once I glanced towards the entrance to see straight couples walk in and shake their heads or openly mock what they saw and I couldn't blame them. Now there were a very vocal minority who clearly wanted gay anthems all night but many many more (some of whom I spoke to)were not being catered for.


I don't want to sound like I've got an axe to grind or I know best (I've only dj'd at my sisters wedding but I do go out in York, Leeds and Manchester a lot) in fact I support what you guys are doing and think that Outrageous has the potential to be really great, and there was certainly enough of a crowd to keep it going, but I think the music needs to be revamped.. When I think back to the jukebox selections at Little John these gay anthems were far less popular than current pop and r'n'b.


Far be it from me to complain and not suggest a solution. If you'd let me have a go as guest dj I guarantee I could improve the experience on the night. I have no wish to hijack Outrageous or promote my ego, I don't want paid, I don't want to do it and say 'I told you so.' I do want to have fun and get the room on their feet. Give me a chance to work with you and help out, I promise to do my best and if you don't like my ideas and song choices, well, it's your dj equipment I'll just step down.


I hope you'll consider what I'm saying in the spirit that I mean to say it. Once again I do appreciate the effort that something like this must take to organise I just think it's important and the music should enhance the experience not be a joke that reflects poorly on our community. I look forward to talking to you.


All the best,


Paul"


No comments:

Post a Comment